As announced some time ago, the Women’s Sports Foundation will host The Billies on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 at the Beverly Hilton Hotel. This will include a performance from Elton.
The awards recognise media excellence in women’s sports and physical activity. In addition, the event raises money for the Women’s Sports Foundation. Last year’s event, which also featured the Rocket Man, raised $1.5 Million for the foundation.
This time around, Event Co-Chairs will include Geena Davis, George Lopez, Kathy Smith and Honorary Co-Chair Maria Shriver. Co-Contributing sponsors for the event are ESPN and Zimand Entertainment. Women’s Sports Foundation national sponsors are Advanta and Gatorade.
The Billies are named after Billie Jean King. Winner of a record 20 Wimbledon titles and founder of the Women’s Sports Foundation, King is recognised for spearheading the women’s movement in tennis and for her lifelong struggle for equality in women’s tennis.
The finalists in the Breakthrough and Innovation, Entertainment and Journalism categories were announced as follows:
Breakthrough and Innovation:
- GirlsExplore.com - Scott Meehan
- MTV Network - "Made," series of episodes
- New Moon - New Moon Publishing, Nancy Gruver
- Nike - "I so pretty," advertisement campaign
- "Ahmad and Kohestani ignore Afghanistan politics to play soccer -
Recipients of the 2006 Arthur Ashe Courage Award" - ESPN, Maura Mandt
- "Heart of the Game" - Miramax Films, Ward Serrill
- "This Is a Game Ladies" - Partisan Pictures, Tracey Barry and Peter
- "Watermarks" - Kino Video, Yaron Zilberman
- "Billie Jean King Portrait of a Pioneer" - HBO Sports, Margaret Grossi
- Series of articles - The Providence Journal, John Gillooly
- "Woe in the WNBA" - National Public Radio, Diana Nyad
- "Lady Caliphs" - ESPN SportsCenter, Jon Fish and John Barr
- "Overtime Is Our Time!" - Terrapin State Publishing, Chris King and
- "The Extra Mile" - Rodale Inc, Pam Reed
And later in April, Elton will make another return appearance. This time, he'll be at the Waldorf-Astoria to raise funds for the Breast Cancer Research Foundation's Hot Pink Party Goes Cool.
The event will be on Tuesday, the 24th, at the Waldorf-Astoria, where Sheryl Crow will also take the stage.