There were few disappointments–and some surprises–at last night’s Madison Square gig.
While Elton didn’t do Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboy in its entirety as promoted, leaving out Writing and Tower of Babel, he did include a rare number.
Noting how hard it was to believe that 25 years have elapsed since John Lennon‘s death, he performed Empty Garden, along with a video tribute to his friend.
In fact, many of the background effects could rival his Vegas extravaganza . . . from the letters of his name being flashed onscreen to a snapping crocodile, yellow space alien visage and orange skulls.
Here is the set list:
1) Weight Of The World (following a ”Funeral For a Friend”-like beginning and lots of ”thunder” sound and visual effects, which started off the night in an exhilirating fashion)
2) Porch Swing In Tupelo
3) Answer In The Sky
4) Turn The Lights Out When You Leave
5) My Elusive Drug
6) They Call Her The Cat (along with a couple of ”meow”-like chants from the choir)
7) Freaks In Love
8) All That Im Allowed (Im Thankful) – (Music video played on screens above stage)
9) Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboy (Throughout this song, appearing on the LED curtain above the stage, graphics from the Captain Fantastic album appeared, along with reviews from Eltons early career ending with the Captain Fantastic logo lettering. And Davey Johnstone played a specially designed Captain Fantastic guitar for this selection).
10) Bitter Fingers
11) Tell Me When The Whistle Blows
12) Someone Saved My Life Tonight
13) (Gotta Get A) Meal Ticket
14) Better Off Dead
15) We All Fall In Love Sometimes (preceded by a nod to Bernie Taupin in the audience, and the pronouncement that the two songwriters are still as close as brothers).
16) Curtains (During the final chorus, appearing on the LED curtain above the stage, one at a time, all of the current Band Members names appeared, including/starting with Gus Dudgeon and ending with Ray Cooper and Dee Murray)
———- The Voice of Atlanta Choir exit the stage———-
17) Funeral For A Friend / Love Lies Bleeding
18) Bennie And The Jets (a particularly rocking version and one, of many, crowd pleasers)
20) Take Me To The Pilot (with an extended bluesy introduction)
21) Rocket Man
22) I Guess Thats Why They Call It The Blues
23) Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word (Dedicated to the late Ray Charles)
24) Tiny Dancer
Elton introduces The Voice of Atlanta Choir who return to the stage and Band members
25) Philadelphia Freedom
26) Sad Songs (Say So Much)
27) Empty Garden
29) Dont Let The Sun Go Down On Me
30) The Bitch Is Back
31) Saturday Night’s (Alright For Fighting)
31) Crocodile Rock
32) Your Song